Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Globalization: The Japanese Version of Walt Disney

Recently, I went to Tokyo to see some DJ's perform. On the way to Chiba, about 80% of the people coming off of the trains were carrying Walt Disney paraphernalia in brightly colored plastic bags. A sure sign that one has been to Disney World.
Once I reached the venue, I was surprised and delighted to see that one of the leading acts had incorporated Disney clips into their screen show.

Fantasia at it's best.


Most of my Japanese friends have been to Disney World; it seems that a trip to Tokyo is just not complete without going to this theme park. Never mind that most of them are in their late teens to early 20s, they all rave about it. In fact, my home visit partner traveled to Tokyo in September and of course he visited Disney. He brought me back a whole bag filled with Mickey-shaped goodies including these yummy butter cookies!

These cartoons that were created for runny-nosed American children has traveled across the Pacific Ocean to Japan. Who can resist Mickey Mouse?

3 comments:

visual gonthros said...

An interesting idea and example of Japanese globalization, but please explain how Disney in Japan illustrates Japanese globalization. Have you been there?

Anonymous said...

Tokyo Disneyland is owned by a Japanese company, The Oriental Land Company, who pays Disney character and likeness licenses.

chinese interpreting said...

I like globalization more and more each day because it makes my life a lot easier. Please feel free to include this on your website. As part of my ongoing mission to find the absolute best tools to make money, this is without a doubt at the top of my list.