Tuesday, September 16, 2008

First Impressions of Japan





One thing I have noticed these first few weeks in Japan are that the trends here are much different than of those in the States. For example, this man is carrying a handbag that would normally (in America) resemble a woman's purse! Ah, Fashion Week in Tokyo; here is an interesting article about where you can read more about these so called "Center Guys".












I have also observed that cities are very carefully and thoughtfully planned, especially with the disabled in mind. Here we see yellow pathways that have been built for the blind and also a chirping traffic sign in the distance which lets one know when it is safe to cross the street. Apparently, they also have them in Bejing.

2 comments:

visual gonthros said...

I wonder if you might want to have some sort of introductory text to let your readers know what it is you are doing in your blog.

Your early observations, men with handbags and yellow tiles for the blind, are interesting. For the former I wonder if it is appropriate to compare an older man with a bag usually reserved for women in western cultures (gender is culturally constructed and it might have been interesting to discuss this aspect) with a youthful "center guy." With the latter I would have liked to read more about the yellow tiles in the Japanese context rather than a link to the situation in China (unless you have a reason for doing so).

I am interested in your title. Could you explain it?

A nice beginning. Keep up your good observations.

Anonymous said...

This blog is my visual representation of Japan. I will attempt to capture images that will allow viewers to more easily understand this culture.

I believe that both China and Japan use the tiles for the same reason and I thought it was interesting to discover that it wasn't just Japan.